Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Well this post is filled with fun-filled adventures that happened last week. I should have posted at the end of each day while it was fresh, but I kinda forgot. Now I am scrambling to remember all of the details; so hopefully this post wont be to crappy. If my memory is correct, we went to congress, a public hospital, a primary school, A blind school, AJS and la Mountanita, which is a very poor community. I am sorry in advance for a boring blog post, this one will be more informational and sound negative.

1. The visit to congress was actually cool. I had my doubts that it would be a interesting trip and that I wouldn't be able to stay awake during the presentation, but I made it through with the help of a few factors. First of all the air conditioner was on Blizzard and blowing right in my face. I Tried to act cool, like it wasn't bothering me, but my face probably had all sorts of nasty looks. At one point I started to fall asleep even though I was sitting right next to David, the speaker, which is super embarrassing, but I think I played it off well. David talked about the up coming election and said that everyone in politics is corrupt; corruptions is like a disease. I am surprised at how easily we could get around the building, like there was not a ton of security  or anything.

2. Visiting the hospital was interesting but depressing. The public hospital down here is terrible. A) the building it self needed major updates. B) patients don't have their own room. They separate patients by internal problems, like a heart attack, and external problems like if some one got shot and put them all in one huge room. Some patients were in the hallway on stretcher beds getting check out and many people had visible injuries. They have no boundaries for example, our tour guide asked us if we wanted to watch a surgery. The problem with this is that their surgical rooms aren't like Americas. The surgical room isnt guarded or in a different wing of the hospital, its in an open room with multiple patients and anyone can walk in. Some doctors were actually working on patients. For example they were pulling on this lady's arm/ wrist trying to pop in back in place. They were showing us the people like they were zoo animals on display; which is not cool. When I am in the hospital sick the last thing I want is people staring at me in my moment of weakness. C) all of their files are in manila folders; the record room just looks so chaotic, I don't know how they find anything in there. They need a good commuter system that will organize all of that witchcraft. People leave there houses at 5am or earlier just to arrive at the hospital early. When they do arrive it may be an hour or longer until they can actually see a doctor, if they can even see the doctor that day. Some days they come and wait all day for the chance to see a doctor, but It doesn't happen until the next day. On a fantastic day you could arrive, see the doctor in a few hours, get the medicine and go home; those days are rare. Once you have been checked out they give you a prescription and you are supposed to get the medicine for free, but most times they don't have the medicine so now you have to buy the medicine, which many Hondurans can not afford. The political system here is frustrating because it is so corrupt that nothing gets done right....but enough of that, ill get off my soap box.

3. The primary school was also an adventure. When you first walk in all you saw was kids running around playing instead of being in class. It was so loud that I could not hear myself think. The teachers union was on strike; none of the teachers left, but they all didn't want to be there, a few teachers didn't even show up. All the kids kept yelling GRINGO as we walked by. A majority of the children are poor, they don't have school materials, books or food. A majority of the money the government gives, goes to the teachers salaries (3.00$ per hr). The schools are dirty because there is no one there to clean it so parents come in after class to do what they can. World Vision gives students materials and helps the school by training the older kids(5th and 6th graders) to tutor the younger kids; which is awesome. It is crazy in the schools, I honestly don't understand how anyone learns; the noise alone is so distracting, the kids are jumping all over the place and they don't have any materials. Honduras has the worst education in Latin America even though they spend the most money on education. Even though the children were quite rowdy, they were adorable.

4. The blind school was awesome!!! It was awesome they teach adults how to function in everyday life, like how to read/ write braille, how to get dresses, cook, make art and music, use a walking stick, etc. They give these people crucial skill to function normally. It is a two year program and they can also achieve skills that will help them get a job, like giving messages. They gave our group free massages and the people are so sweet. This trip was one of my favorites by far, it was so happy!

5. AJS is the organization my professors founded. They are dedicated to  fighting the corruption in Honduras. Their mission statement is: brave Christians dedicated to making Honduras system of law and government work properly to do justice for the poor and inspire other Christians. They want to get rid of the root problem (corruption) and prevent violence. Some of the ways they prevent violence is by providing opportunities for at risk youth, mentors, getting kids back in school. There needs to be a structural change and individual changes in order to see a transformation. AJS is doing some awesome things in Honduras and I did not realize they had so much influence/ power in the government. That just completely blows my mind because they are making a difference

6. La Mountanita is a very poor community. They don't have running water, electricity, bathrooms inside of the house, etc. These people literally had nothing but they were so happy; they truly live simply. It hurts me to know that those kids will probably never leave their villages and experience life somewhere else. They don’t have to leave the country, but if they just walked a few miles down the road to Santa Lucia, they would see a completely different world. They have so many fruits and vegies around; if you want advocate  just go out side and hit the tree. I really wanted to milk a cow, but i did not wake up earlier enough, apparently 6:30am is too late. I played soccer and all types of other games with the kids; they say I am a good goalie, I have found my calling in life. I wiped out playing  a game similar to London bridges, I think I'm at that point where people laughing at me is as normal as talking. The kids were also impressed with my awesome dodge ball skills, I mean what can I say, I'm just naturally talented. These people have taught me to really enjoy the little things in life. The kids had a children's book, teaching them the basics in Spanish  THAT BOOK WAS PERFECT FOR ME, I LEARNED SO MUCH. I have the least amount of Spanish out of our whole group so for me that book was like heaven. The children helped me pronounce the words and giggled as I tried to form sentences. One of my new goals to buy a children's book so that I may learn Spanish and then continuously grow until I can carry a decent conversation in Spanish.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Keisha,

    The post wasn't boring it was informative naturally and spiritually and funny. You painted a very good picture to allow us to see what you saw. You should think of ways we can help once you get back.

    You used humor and self-deprecation effectively, maybe you should be an editorial writer. Anyway, I enjoyed the post and can't wait to read the next one.
    Love you,

    Mommy

    ReplyDelete